Well....try as I might I really couldn't keep myself away from such a controversial book series. I read all three books in this trilogy ( #2 The Subtle Knife and #3 The Amber Spyglass) and it is really something. It is very creative and it's a real page turner. It has some pretty major themes going on for a children's book including all you've heard in the media regarding religion and god. The author Philip Pullman seems to have some unresolved concerns about religion that have jaded him to the idea of a higher being. A few concerns that he addresses are:
Why God doesn't intervene in all the horrible things that happen in the world?
What happens when we die?
Who is God? The nature of God.
What the Garden of Eden story is all about.
The nature of man.
The importance of agency and free will.
Hmmmm....sounds to me like the perfect jumping off point for some fab conversations with kids or anyone else that wants to read them. Having said that it's a bit strong for little kids, I think it's a bit over Julia's head at this point but it's something I eventually want her to read. It would be wonderful for Piper and Lowell to read together.
Over all: a good series, I would read it yourself before you jump into it with your kids, but it's not something to be feared or avoided.
3 comments:
There has been so much controversy over these books and the author. I don't listen to the radio that much but about every other time I do I hear something about the books. I think it is great that you read them and have a good perspective before letting your kids just dive in to them. Having Lowell read them to the girls (when they are old enough) is good too so if questions come up they have dad right there to comment. It reminds me of all the stuff about Harry Potter when it first came out.
Thanks for the review. I thought of buying the trilogy this month with our scholastic order but decided on something else in stead. I am glad to have your thoughts on it.
I just finished "Golden Compass." I had the same thoughts as you. I was telling my hubby who is reading it now, that the best part was I had so many of the answers to questions he presented. I'm going to have to get the other ones. It is a great story! Someday I'm sure my kids will really enjoy them and the answers the scriptures and modern-day prophets provide to the questions the book raises.
Post a Comment