Thursday, January 3, 2008

In Memory of Pumpkin, Pokey, Olive, Patch & Midnight jr.

Patch and Pumpkin 2004

Well, we've done it again...another cat has passed on!  Lowell came home last night to find that Pumpkin had died in his box on the stoop-hopefully in his sleep.  If you don't know our history with cats it won't mean much when I say that we had him for over 3 years!  

Over the last few years we have tried to keep cats, usually 2 so they can keep each other company and whatnot but we have now lost 5 cats!  You must be thinking that we are bad pet owners but I swear only one death was pet owner related!  I ran over Midnight long, long ago and it was very sad! Pokey, Patch and Olive all mysteriously disappeared.  We live up in the foothills-- just one street off the full blown wildlife of the mountain so we don't know if a predator was getting to them or what.  Anyway-then Pumpkin died yesterday of what Lowell has diagnosed as heart failure.

Pokey 2005

So I think we are done with cats (and for that matter acquiring new pets in general) for the time being.  We still have Opal, our black cat, but she's not the brightest bulb in the box and I don't know how long she'll survive without good 'ole Pumpkin.  Anyway-farewell to our favorite feline!

Opal:  the lone survivor 2008

8 comments:

Laura said...

They are beautiful! I love that Midnight was a Jr, was there a Sr? That is cute. Hopefully Midnight will stick around.

Laura said...

Sorry,got confused, I hope Opal sticks around. Love, laura

the Token Asian said...

A moment of silence.

Ok. You wanna dog?!

V and Co. said...

Okay was opal the one that got stuck in your garage door? that still makes me laugh hysterically! that would go with the whole not the brightest one in the bunch!

by the way are you getting your cats all from the same place? that my friend might be the problem! but really sorry, about the heart failure!

Sally said...

That is rather tragic! I am a cat person, but Tom is not. We have had 6 cats over the past 5 years...only one stuck because Tom promised Sydney he wouldn't get rid of it! I am sorry about your luck with cats!

Lowell said...

Yes, it was a sad day in the Stewart household when Pumpkin passed away. Actually, I believe the cause of death was more probably a stroke, and fairly sudden. I read that that's a very common cause of death for cats about Pumpkin's age, and I read it online, so it must be true, right? ; )

Anyway, it was actually Pumpkin that got stuck in the garage door. And he also once took a trip around the car engine, escaping with only a bruised leg... he once had an infection from a fight with some animal that caused his paw to inflate to four times its normal size... let's see, that's three lives right there... I have no doubt he expended another five out of our view, given that odd scabs and limps were not an uncommon thing with Pumpkin. So evidently this time he used up his ninth.

Opal, the lone survivor, is somewhat distinguished by the fact that she ran away from home (just disappeared, like so many others) last Spring, and we had written her off as lost. But the very week little Hazel was born, Opal just showed up again out of nowhere, and has been with us ever since. I suspect she may be a part-time resident from here on out, spending the cold months in our garage and emerging in the Spring to go abroad until next September.

Lowell said...

Oops, I posted that last comment under a pseudonym adopted from my all-time favorite movie. Now I've updated my nickname so as to be more recognizable.

Bonnie said...

"The cat's in the bag" is all I can say, Lowell! All felines go to heaven so there are reunions in your future!