
This is my cousin Becky, my daughter Piper (Rebecca Piper) is named after her and is a daily reminder of my cousin and her special place in my heart. Becky died in 1998 after a handful of miracles and a battle with cancer. I come from a pretty small family, I only have 5 cousins on both sides of the family so she and I were very close. We grew up in the same town with all of our extended family around and I always thought of her as more of a sister than a cousin. We were just 4 months apart in age and her death was a test of my faith and a time to look my own mortality in the eye. She left a huge hole in my heart and a cache of memories in my mind.
She was married and has a son named Thomas (he is one of her miracles)! He is now 12 (I think or can it possibly be 13??) He's great at baseball, hip hop and acting, among other things. Every time I see him I'm surprised by how confident and comfortable he seems compared to how I felt at that age. Today is the anniversary of her death-we miss her and think of her often! We love you Bec!

4 comments:
Wow, what a story! How special to remember her through Piper.
A special thanks to all the Mattson women for remembering Becky and me today. She would have enjoyed getting together with you and talking "kids" and IKEA! Hugs all around!! Love You All.
A beautiful tribute to a beautiful person. Thanks for sharing!
Beautiful thought here Jen... thank you for reminding us how much we all love her!!
Did you know that Micheal and Thomas and I are doing the SF to Sausalito bike trip on 3/8. I will post photos ect. I still remember the first time we did that ride and all the others that followed. I would love to find a photo of Bec on the ride and then take a picture of Thomas on the same spot...anyone who can help just e-mail same.
Love to you Jen...and L,P,J,C,H
Post a Comment