Saturday, February 9, 2008

Smart Habit Saturday: Hazel's Daily Stuff


I'm new to SHS but I'm here to tell you I need it bad!  Our world was turned upside down about 5 months ago when we added a new baby to our family--she is darling and amazing, however she has some major health issues that have added several things to my daily to-do list (extensive physical therapy, giving her meds, and skin care).  For some reason these things are really overwhelming me and I'm finding it hard to get them in consistently. My usual tactic of attaching a new habit to some existing habit isn't working that well so I think I am going to have to enlist the help of the whole family.  This week I am going to try doing all of her daily 'stuff' right after dinner while the rest of the family does the dishes!  This is a time that she is usually awake, pretty happy and we eat dinner everyday right??  Shouldn't be too hard.  OK the hard part will be getting the rest of the family to happily do the dishes!  We'll see how it goes...

If you want to join SHS or just find out more about what it is check out one of my favorite sites: The Lazy Organizer.

10 comments:

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

Sounds like a great idea! I think it makes the family happier as a whole when MOM is happier {i.e. everyone else helps out}. Hope it works out great for you this week!

Rosie said...

Good luck. I think that having a child with special needs is a very demanding role. I have a friend that had a child with cancer and there were so many schedules, meds etc. that she had to make a binder with all the lists in one place. Everything that had to be done was written down with a chart and times. She said that it was the only way that she could have ever survived. There was no way to mentally keep track of it all.

Good luck!

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

Good for you for not trying to do it all yourself!

I heard a child development expert say once that you shouldn't worry too much if a child complains too much about doing a job as long as they are DOING THE JOB!

Don't worry if your family doesn't do it happily at first, just be thankful that you aren't having to do it yourself.

Sherri said...

I love your blog!!! I can't wait to read more of it. My kids are both adopted and my daughter has had major health issues too!! The best of luck to you. I am planning on soon posting our adoption stories....

Rebecca said...

I think getting help from the rest of that family while you focus on your baby's needs is a great idea. And it's fair that they pitch in. I hope they do have a good attitude about it. Have a great week!

Lara said...

It definitely sounds like you need help. Once your family gets into the habit of doing dishes they won't complain. It just takes time.

Thanks for joining us!

V and Co. said...

good luck jen, i think you are amazing!

girlsmama said...

Good for you Jen! You are an amazing Mom!

Bonnie said...

Jenn let's talk about SHS again. I forgot what I am supposed to do. Sounds like a good support system though...lots of great comments. Love, Mom

P.S. I know the kids and Lowell will get on board with the dinner hour..it is way too important for Hazel for them not to do it. They will!

Jim said...

Jen and Family, I love you all...you guys are an amazing group.
Jen...you lead-out in establishing this new habit and the rest will follow. Habits take time to form so be patient...start the "new evening schedule" with a prayer given by Lowell. Give it a least three weeks with special Fridays to look forward to...i.e. Ice Cream, a walk, special DVD, an extra blanket when it is real cold (JK...just checking if you are awake).