Monday, March 10, 2008

Preparedness...


I've been thinking a lot about 72 hour kits, food storage, and just general preparedness over the last few months. I guess it all started with that huge explosion that we had over here (in the neighborhood, not our house) a while back and was finished off with the pregnant woman that got 'snowed-in' in her car right in the middle of town and almost died.

So about a month ago I pulled out the 72 hour kits and dumped them all out on the kitchen table. (I'm wishing I had taken a picture now but oh well!) Anyway, I hadn't "updated" the kits since Chloe was born, that's right, CHLOE--as in 2 children ago. They were in pretty sad shape after 6 summers in the garage and we were low on everything since we'd added 2 kids.

So I had fun gathering all the stuff we needed for everyone and now I'm feeling like we we're totally outfitted for survival with 4 kids. (HA! who am I kidding? We can barely survive in the house with every modern convenience conceived by man. But, I don't know, it makes me feel better!) Anyway-the goal is to have them 100% done and hanging in the garage by April Conference (4/5/08) and then to update them every 6 months on General Conference weekend. I've been wanting to do that for years now but here I am throwing it out into cyberspace...I'm going to update them regularly!

So my 2 favorite items in the 72 hour kits are 1) 100 single dollar bills. I was thinking of the Hurricane Catrina situation-thinking if we need to barter for something I wouldn't want to be stuck using 20's or a hundred dollar bill which is what I had in there before. And 2) fishing supplies. They are cheap and lite and invaluable around here if we need to find our own food. Anyway just a couple of ideas...

I also made up a car emergency kit with a lot of the same things as the 72 hr kit but with a few 'car incident' items like a hammer (1$ store) in the glove box to break windows if you get stuck inside the car and flares, motor oil and stuff like that. I'm not sure why it is giving me such a sense of accomplishment but it really is. Hmmmm...maybe it's time to get out of the house?

OK one more little item and then I will stop tooting my own 'preparedness horn' and remind myself about what bad shape my food storage is in...

Last time Hazel was in the hospital I had hours and hours and hours to sit and think about what I wished I had with me so I made a list. When we got home I packed it all in a bag-my new ER survival bag! Well, last night Hazel got a fever and I knew I'd have to take her in. Because of the shunt, they always want to see her if she has a fever soooo-off we went with me hoping and praying that they would be able to find the problem while we were in the office and not have to admit her to the hospital. On the way out the door I grabbed my ER survival bag just in case! Well, I'm happy to report that we didn't need it, hooray! She just had a UTI and we were home by noon. I'm guessing it's Murphy's Law here and realize that since I had the stuff with me I didn't need it. Hope that theory holds since I plan to have it with me whenever she goes in with a fever from now on!

Anyway-that's what's on my mind these days. Let me know if you have any clever or unusual things in your emergency kits...I always like to add new things!

If you want to join the TAT chat visit Lara the Lazy Organizer.

12 comments:

Lara said...

Love this post! Now that we're about done with our food storage I am going to start working on 72 hour kits. My friend bought rolling backpacks for hers and I think that's a great idea. I will be looking for a good deal on some.

I would love to see the complete list of what you have in your kits.

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

WOW an ER preparedness kit is a GREAT idea! And I love your two items, the fishing supplies are a GREAT idea too! Oh and "who am I kidding? We can barely survive in the house with every modern convenience conceived by man" <-----I TOTALLY LOL'd! It's funny cause it's true ;-)

Bonnie said...

Jen, this is fantastic. I am so glad you got that kit together for the hospital as after spending 19 days there I can testify that you need it.

I really like your idea to check your 72 hour kits at each conference time. That seems to be the problem with us...remembering to update it. I know I was better about that when you kids were growing up. Dad, being a wilderness type guy has everything but I have no idea how to use a lot of it...so a FHE is appointed for us to go over it. As what is the likelihood he will even be here in the event of something happening?

I have always thought the Gospel is a bit like juggling and I always have a ball or two on the floor. Thanks for reminding me to pick this one up again and get things in order.

laura.elizabeth said...

We just did a huge Emergency Preparation class at church (it was during Sunday School for four weeks), so it has been on my mind a lot too. I will e-mail some of what we put together for the members in our branch. I hope it is helpful.

Julie said...

It is funny because I was just talking with a friend about emergency preparation and decided that as of right now I would only last the first 15 or 16 hours. You had some fabulous idea and I need to start working on getting myself prepared. I have always however had an extensive kit in my car, so at least that is done!!! Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

the car emergency kit is something everyone should have!

Laura said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing this entry, I totally need to update our stuff. I love the ideas of the fishing poles. Along those same lines, someone suggested we get a gun--to protect your family and self, and for food. I don't think I can do that, but I may regret it one day. I also hope your ER kit (now that it is done) does prevent many a long stay. Thanks for the reminder!!!

Rosie said...

I also would love to see a list of the contents of your 72 hour kits. Also of your ER kit.

Sounds great!

Sally said...

Thanks Jen! I haven't gone through mine in a while either, and my goal was to check them every conference also! Good reminders! One thing Tom and I want to put in our kits is some kind of water purifier. And does anybody have any ideas to make these kits lighter for kids?? I put Zack's on him and he fell over. I have worst case scenario in my mind of all my kids trekking up the mountain side with these pack on...I would love to get the info your sister has collected in her branch.

Rebecca said...

Great post! I still need to put an emergency kit together before anymore tornado warnings hit. It's just one of those things that gets pushed back until the sirens sound off. I'll put that on my list of things to take care of. And I agree with Lazy - post a list of what you have inside your bags next Tuesday. :)

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

I've always wanted to do an emergency kit, but have just never gotten around to it.

Just out of curiosity, what is in your kit and how much did you spend on it?

Lisa Pereira said...

Great posting! I have been such a slacker and you have given me the swift kick in the rear, I need. Please post a list, if you can. I need ideas, as I am not a great suvivalist and I KNOW I will forget something. I have a friend who suggested having chocolate chips, toilet paper, and feminine products, nothing more, because everyone would barter with you, so you wouldn't need anything else!