We knew it would happen to someone. We all had our suspicions of who it would be and feared that it would be us! But it has finally happened to Jen and Lowell: the first of our peers are getting divorced.
You hear all the jokes about who gets the friends in the divorce but what if you really love both partners and want to keep them both? This is major new territory for Lowell and I. We don't have any divorced people in my family. I'm serious...all of my grandparents, aunts and uncles and siblings and parents are still together. Similar story for Lowell's side-all of his sibs are still married and parents too. I don't think I know anyone my age that's divorced...do I? Not anyone I know personally, just people I've know as acquaintances and even those are few and far between. Strange in a country that has a 2 to 1 divorce rate.
I think it scared Lowell and I. We've both been a lot more lovey and touchy the last few days-hoping to insulate ourselves a little bit. But the truth is that no one is immune. When a freind of mine's parents were in their 70's, his dad broke his hip and went to a rehab center for several weeks after his surgery. He met and fell in love with a woman who was also there for rehab. He divorced his wife and married her! Hmmmm, that tells me no one is off the hook!
I'm surprised at how deeply sad I am over this news. You always want the best for your friends and it's a sad realization that sometimes a parting of the ways is really the best way forward when a couple just isn't working. We wish them both well and hope the road ahead is smoother than the one they've traveled.
6 comments:
It is much more sad than I would have ever imagined---and does bring up a lot of fears-------
I have thought of them so much and just pray they both know we love them and that we wish them well in all the important things in their lives. It does make you stop and think about your own life and marriage and how important it is to you, doesn't it?
Yeah, this has been a bad year for Brandon's fam. His grandparents also got divorced this year after ALL these years together. So tragic.
Oh that is sad! It's true, no one is off the hook.
It's ugly huh? Carlos & I experienced our first divorced friends a couple years ago. We still don't quite know how to work it all out, esp. when they don't mind bashing the ex in front of us. UGLY!
This is always painful! My parents were divorced after 23 years! Crazy. It always makes me prayer harder and try to be a better wife.
Post a Comment