
This summer I have read a few books...well, 8 to be exact and for me lately that's a lot. 4 of the books were the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I'll tell you right now that if you haven't read them and want to: STOP READING THIS NOW. This is a major spoiler alert. I'll be giving up all major plot points so seriously if you want to have any fun reading them stop reading this post now. Really: Stop!
OK now that we got rid of them, we can talk details! I have a feeling I'll be making some enemies here but I have to get this off my chest: what is the deal with all hoopla over these books? I'm not saying I didn't like them or see them as a guilty pleasure but I don't get it??!?! At lease here in Utah this book was everywhere which is why I finally broke down and read them. (I make it a point not to read anything sold in Deseret Book if I can help it;)
I have to admit that I read all 4 books in about 3 weeks so I didn't get the anticipation factor in there and I have a feeling it makes a difference. I'm also not a conservative by any stretch, in fact I like to think of myself as quite open minded so this is not a post about how the books are too dark and evil. It's mostly that they are nauseatingly cheesy and so far out of touch with any aspect of reality that I am having a hard time finishing the 4th book. I'm all about the suspension of belief for the sake of a good story but this takes it too far.
Major reasons I couldn't finish the series:
1. Bella becomes an unlikeable character: too selfless (yes, too selfless), too humble, too far removed from the way anyone really is--it's just too much.
2. Renesmee? Come on!?! really? PUKE.
3. One 'knight-in-shining-armor' is plenty for any book but two of them? Really, Jacob and Edward were both making me ill by the end. I honestly can't say enough about how much I disliked these characters as the books went on. Edward was great in book one. Jacob was fine in book 2 but after that it was just too much to take. It was like being forced to watch someone with their PDA over and over.
4. I was totally on board with the whole vampire thing but adding in the werewolves and the italian vampire mafia group was, at best--lame.
5. The final blow was when Bella is changed into a vampire and the author expects you to then read 300 more pages about her learning to hunt, insane vampire sex, feeding her infant human blood from a bottle, saving the world and her miraculously discovering her 'super powers' at the last minute. At the end it was like a bad X Men movie.
I'm rambling and I'm sad to say that I could go on. I think I was expecting too much. That always happens for me with movies and books and stuff. The more I expect, the less impressed I end up being. Anything good that was in these books came from the anticipation of Bella becoming a vampire--once that happened the book should have ended immediately and left the rest to your imagination. Super fast growing, blood drinking baby human/vampire hybrids with made-up names should never be on the menu.
10 comments:
yeah the fourth book really was a let down to tell you the truth. the first book was the best and i felt like it just went downhill...i really lost it with renesmee i actually said outloud "you HAVE GOT to be kidding me!" and what is up with "imprinting" on a fetus?!! but ask me if it's going to stop me from going to see the movie...NOPE i'll be there along with all the other 14 year olds and 30 something women.
This post is so funny! I love how you boycott buying from Deseret Book! :) I personally thought the 2nd book in the series was the worse. I couldn't stand how Bella moped around FOREVER! I had to keep reminding myself that she is a teenager and this book was written for them not me (a mom of 3 in my 30's). Renesmee...there's just nothing to say about that. It is truly horrible. I can't believe the editor's didn't ask for a name change.
I too will be going to the movie. We already have a group that is planning on going together!
I liked the first book, but was BLEH by the time I finished the 2nd and still read the 3rd...so had to read the 4th. I'm not done with the 4th yet but a few of my least favorite parts so far...
PDA...get to the story already
"Get your head in the game" I've seen it twice already and can't help but start singing the song from High School Musical.
Drinking Blood....PLEASE.
My 11 year old wants to read these. Her friends have read them. My response, "There are so many GOOD books out there for you to read...read those first."
Lets not start with MUSH books just yet.
I could have written your review. I actually know several people who feel the same way - more that do than don't, actually. I've got this theory that these books are mostly loved by non-book lovers - people who don't generally like to read are sucked in to these books and are amazed how much they enjoyed reading them (because the first one, especially, is an engaging, quick, easy read). Most of my friends who are really into reading were unimpressed. I'll admit I read all 4, but I was commenting on another blog where she'd asked what we liked best about the last book. I came up totally blank. Sorry to sound like a hater, I'm really not - but I don't get all the hype about this series!
AAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEENNNNN!! They are fine to read, but holy cow they are taking over the worl, like Walmart. I have read them and there were things in all of the books that I liked, but they in no way were wonderful pieces of literature. Crazy Fad!
AAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEENNNNN!! They are fine to read, but holy cow they are taking over the worl, like Walmart. I have read them and there were things in all of the books that I liked, but they in no way were wonderful pieces of literature. Crazy Fad!
I am SOOOOO glad to hear that SOMEONE did not LOVE those books. I haven't read them, but don't know that I can----I just hate unrealistic cheezy crap---although I know I am the cheesiest person in the land. But I cannot tolerate it in written form. Especially about vampires-----it is refreshing to hear a negative review. I was almost thinking I should read them as noone had said they didn't like them. Now I can dismiss them completely.
The first one was a nice light engaging read and then it just went downhill. The fourth one was painful. And I don't think I'd let my early teen girls read these. They would open some doors for conversation though. Wild bed breaking sex anyone? That's what I want my teenager reading. I think we'll start with Steinbeck...
OK then, doesn't sound like you can ever get those hours back. Thanks for the warning. I wasn't
planning on reading them anyway but now I can say for sure I won't.
You are funny! Try listening to them on tape! The reader made me hate Bella, what a whiner! But I am going to be the lone one here and admit I really loved the series overall and I did love the 4th book! Maybe because I am in "baby mode" I don't know. I do hate the name Renesmee though. And I liked Bella much better as a vampire! And I am one of those people who don't read a lot so Jenny has a valid point! :)
Post a Comment