Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th, 2001


I remember when I was a kid hearing my parents talk about where they were when JFK was shot.  For our generation the question is about where you were on 9/11/01, when the twin towers went down.

Lowell and I were out for a walk early in the morning with Piper and Julia up in the canyon.  I remember we were making bets about what day Utah would have it's first snow. On the way home we heard about the first plane on the radio and I remember thinking it was no accident and that this day would go down in history.  By the time we got home the second plane had hit and we sat in front of the TV for several hours watching the footage over and over again and listening to the commentary and speculation as to what was going on.  We waited to find out what was happening with the other planes and hoped that no one we knew was in NYC or on a plane.  It was an odd few days after that. Everyone was a little edgy and in shock.  I remember the feeling I'd always had of our country being invincible slipping away and wondering what would happen.  To all of those that lost family and friends that day I send my condolences and hope for a better future.  

So...where were you when you heard??

2 comments:

girlsmama said...

We were just getting up at our house. It was the first thing we heard when the alarm went off. We talked about it this morning as the alarm went off. I was teaching when the attacks happened and I remember how tense the day was at school. We were all paranoid something else would happen closer to home. All the teachers were on "recess duty" that day.

Gail Victoria said...

I saw it on the computer first thing in the morning - but I didn't connect that it was the World Trade Center - I just looked at the picture. Then, on the way to work listening to the radio, the commentator said that the second tower had just come down. I really felt sick to my stomach. When I got to work there was hardly anyone there - the CEO had given everyone the day off. It was then that a Pakistani co-worker said to me, "Well, the Americans should have expected it." I couldn't believe it. I just told her that if she truly felt that way then, today, of all days, she should keep it to herself. REMINDER: Not everyone who lives here is loyal to this country.