I only have 2 truly blissful domestic moments that I can think of. I wish they both happened everyday but then they might become less blissful if I saw them too often. One is the precious few minutes right after school and before dinner. If the stars are aligned and I've had a 'good' day this can be the best part of it. If I have dinner planned and ready to go. If the little girls are fed and have napped. If I have a nutritious and yet tempting after school snack ready and waiting then this is the best part of my day. The kids buzz in talking about their day and get started on their homework at the counter while they have a snack. Chloe will do her "homework" along side them (usually coloring or play dough) and Hazie sits on the counter with me while I do bits and pieces for dinner. The big girls quiz each other on math facts and spelling words and we hang art work on the fridge. Whoever finishes first starts their chores or helps with dinner and we all look like a big happy family when dad gets home.
Like I said...this is far from an every day occurance. Usually they run in from carpool fighting, barking and/or complaining and catch me napping with Hazel while Chloe scales the backyard rock wall with no shoes on. I groggily reach for my DP, wonder what I'm serving for dinner in 90 minutes and try to remember the last time I changed the baby. We sruggle thru homework, I make Top Ramen for dinner and then lock myself in my room the minute Lowell gets home. A smidge less than "blissful" to say the least.
Anyway back to the bliss...my 2nd blissful time of the day is that heavenly moment when you turn off the lights in the kitchen. The kids are bathed and in bed. All the back packs and lunches are packed for morning. The dishes are done and the dishwasher is humming along as it does chores for you. The place smells all bleachy and clean. You finally have a couple of quite hours to...do nothing if you want! Total BLISS.
3 comments:
This is so funny because I have seen it both ways. Love the part about Chloe scaling the hill barefooted! It is pretty blissful at your house though most of the time. That translates to yo doing an awful lot of work all day long!
At least she is not scaling the hill naked!
You need "Mr. Good Deeds" around more often.
On another note...You might think about rearranging the order of your 'Jen's Wish List for Lowell'. "Lovey-Dovey Stuff" should NOT be followed by "Meat Cleaver"...unless there is an aspect to your relation I do not know about??!!
Post a Comment