Sunday, February 8, 2009

#8: I *heart* Adoption


I know several of you have been blessed by adoption as we have. I recently read an article on Blissfully Domestic about 'real mommys' and I wanted to do a post on it. Here's a conversation I have regularly with Chloe who is adopted:

Chloe: Mom! Ask me who Amy is!
Me: OK, who is your birth-mom?
Chloe: AMY!
Me: Right! Who is your birth-dad?
Chloe: Steven!?
Me: Yep! Who is your real mom?
Chloe: You!
Me: Who is your real Dad?
Chloe: Daddy! Ask me again mom, ask me who Amy is.

I'm aware that she doesn't really understand any of this yet but it was something I wanted to work in from a very young age to normalize the idea that she has 2 sets of parents. Adoption is such a rich and layered blessing-I feel so lucky to have been able to have the experience! Thanks Laura!

2 comments:

Laura said...

She just could NOT be any cuter!!!!

Bonnie said...

Chloe is one of our dearest blessings, isn't she? We love her so much and all the rest of you too.

I hope you don't mind that I copied this Valentine idea from you...it has been fun thinking about our blessings and favorite things.