
In honor of the Oscars last night I thought I'd do a movie review.
Lowell and I had a weekend away (thanks to my mom and dad!) and we spent a fair amount of time at the movies. The one we both wanted to see most was Coraline. I read the book last fall and although I enjoyed it I found it disturbing and decided that I didn't want Piper to read it. I told her about it but it stayed on the shelf and still hasn't been touched.
When I heard that a film was being made I was very curious how they were going to manage it as a children's movie since it is a children's book. The themes and the characters of the book played out more like a classic Grimm's Fairy Tale I figured they would 'Hollywood' the plot to make it more appealing to a wider audience. I was wrong. This is a dark story about deception and murder.
Coraline is rated PG and in this case that is exactly how it should be treated. Only the parents will know if this movie is too much for their kid. While we were watching we heard more than one kid crying and asking to go home. One reviewer said that if your kid has been raised on The Nightmare Before Christmas then they are prepared for this movie. I still recommend that you see it first and decide for yourself.
Having said all that: Lowell and I both *loved it*. The art work is great, the story is gritty, the characters are flawed and the music is fun. Go see it!
2 comments:
I love Nightmare, so on your recommendation I'll have to go see this one. I didn't realize it was a book. I'll have to see if the library has it!
Thanks for the review! We'll go see it first but I think my kids would be fine since they love Nightmare and Harry Potter. Tom loved the book.
Post a Comment