Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Meet Piper


Piper is our oldest daughter.  She turned 8 this year and got baptized in the spring.  She is a 3rd grader that loves to read,  jumprope, draw, write and watch movies.  She is very thoughtful, insightful and amazingly creative.  She just loves Harry Potter and well...almost all the boys in her class!  

She was born in Scotland and is named after my cousin Rebecca that passed away in 1998.  She loves her sisters and is a huge help to me and Lowell.  

There is nothing like a first child and the change that child brings to your life and your soul.  The morning that Piper was born was unusually sunny for spring time in Scotland.  I was so filled with love and overwhelmed with the beginnings of motherhood that all I could do was cry.  It was so wonderful and frightening at the same time.  Truly one of the greatest moments in life.  I thank God each day for this little daughter that has blessed my life so much.

Piper has a rare and very mild form of Spina Bifida called Occulta or hidden SB.  There is no opening in the spine or any nerve damage and it can often go undiagnosed for many years.  We found out that she had it when she was about 3 due to some mild intestinal symptoms that were giving her some trouble.  As far as we know she is the first in our family to have any problems of this kind although there are now 3 in her generation that have some form of SB.

We feel blessed to have had this early exposure to SB so many years before we had Hazel.  It made so many aspects of it less scary as we waded through the possible problems Hazel might encounter.  We were experts on the intestinal problems associated with SB before Hazel was even conceived!

2 comments:

Laura said...

What a precious picture of Piper with "little Piper"! So cute!

Bonnie said...

Jen, that praying you do each day to thank God for your firstborn...it will be a part of your daily routine forever! One just has to retire by the time she is a grandmother of 10; you need a regular workday just to say your prayers of thanksgiving!

I remember the same kind of overwhelming tears when Piper was born, half a world away, and made us grandparents! The thing that most amazed me about being her Gramma is that it didn't matter where either of us were in time and space there was an instant deep love and a yearning to be with her the minute she was born. (It still exists today!) Coming to Scotland when she was just a few days old was truly magical and she will always be a real Princess to me. She looks so much like you when you were little, Jen. In many ways watching her grow has been like an instant replay of that beautiful part of our own lives! I love her beautiful little face that is looking more and more like her Daddy too!) and her sweet heart. Remember how she always use to cry when Grampa and I would leave after a visit? By the time she was five it would start the night before we left! Now that is feeling loved!! Piper loves to be with others and to have some one to play with as often as possible. I remember playing with her Lego table and building towns with her often. She has always loved pretty clothes and getting them as presents. I have found that really interesting since all of you kids always went for the toys! I love her art work and the stories she writes and have saved many of them in a special file I have. One of my all time favorites is the one she did about making rice! I love the way she adores you, Jen, and how often tells me of her love for you when we talk. I also love how she is such a great example to her little sisters and how she taught Julia so many cool things as Jewels was catching up on her verbal skills. I could go on forever about these beautiful little girls. Each one of "Jen's Gems" truly sparkles and lights up our lives!