Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hazel's first trip to the ER


Some of you know that Hazel was admitted to the hospital today with a bacterial infection and a high fever that they were worried might be meningitis.    We went into the ER in Provo and they sent her up to PMCM in an ambulance--Lowell and I got to follow behind in the van. (This is becoming a habit that I don't approve of!)  They are doing a lab culture to find out if the infection is meningitis so she will be at PCMC for 48 hours while they get the results of that.  THey started her on a high dose if antibiotics this afternoon.  I'm guessing she'll be released on tuesday evening some time.

She had a VCMG which is a bladder x ray type of thing on friday and they think that is what caused this.  They fill the bladder with fluid to see how it behaves when full and in her case it backs up into her kidneys.  They think that she already had a bit of infection but it went crazy when it hit her kidneys.  They call it Kidney Reflux and it is actually quite common and fixable with surgery although that is several years down the road.  Until then she will manage it with low doses of antibiotics on a daily basis.

Hazel is really fine, they are just being extra careful with her because she is so young and small for her age and also high risk with all of her issues.

Love and thanks to you for all of your support!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Dad an I are praying for our precious Baby Halo..she is such a light to the world, she will do well. God's peace be with you and Lowell, Jen. You guys are amazing and we adore you both. Hugs to the big princesses too! And a huge thank you to Chris and Missy and all your super wonderful friends for always being there for you! What a blessing for us all! XOXO Mom & Dad

Laura said...

Dear Jen, That sounds like major trauma. You have such strength and such a positive attitude. Little Hazel will be in our prayers; I hope she doesn't have meningitis. Keep us posted through your blog. How heartbreaking to have to follow your daughter in a car behind the ambulance. You deserve a freakin' award! I am making a new one up and you are the beneficiary. It is called "Incredible Strength in the Times of Difficulty" Award.

Bonnie said...

I adore this picture!

Love, Gramma