We are hoping to be home within the next 24 hours or so. The Drs have decided that the only way to figure this out is to treat her as if she has menegitis. That means going home with a PICC line (IV port type thing) and taking 14-21 days of heavy antibiotics. Once the antibiotics wear off we will wait and see if the infection comes back. In that case it would most likely be a shunt infection, meaning that her body is rejecting it as a foreign object. We would then be back to square 1 with testing and whatnot. I never thought I'd be hoping that my kid had menegitis but here we are!
Over all she is doing fine, her fever is gone and she is respondig well to the meds-unfortunatly all that tells them is that infection is bacterial. So if they put the PIC line in today we can go home tonight! She is tentativly squeezed into the schedule for 4 pm today (monday). If that doesn't happen then she will be on the schedule tomorrow and be home by evening. Thanks so much for all your prayers, thoughts, calls, help with kids etc. We would be in really trouble without so many amazing people in our lives!
9 comments:
Jen, i have your # kim forwared it to me, now if i could only call you! i have no long distance on our home phone and some tower got knocked down for the only reception we get for cell phone access! so i have zero way to call you but just know that i am constantly thinking of you and your fam, i hope its menegitis, than that way it can just all go away and then you dont have to go back to square one! keep us posted! your fam are in our thoughts and prayers
It is a long row to hoe bot you are almost home. it is so nice to see you back blogging I have missed your posts immensely even though we talk every day. There is just something about the written word.
The alternative to all of the speculation is that she may just have something that they cannot identify that is not meningitis or the shunt. I have heard of that happening to a lot of people including babies. It could even be viral and just running its course. WE will all keep praying for her healing and protection. What a winter is all I can say! Love you Honey and Dad and I are so proud of your strength and endurance through it all. You are truly amazing!
We are keeping on with the prayers for sweet Hazel and your family. We love you guys and "hope" with you that it is meningitis if that is the best outcome!!!!
You guys are in our prayers. I really hope you get a chance to rest once you guys get home, I cannot even imagine the stress and fear and craziness going on for your family right now, so just know that we are praying for you guys!
We'll keep praying for you all! I told Kim to tell Lowell that I'm available to help with the girls, meals, carpool, whatever we can. And can I say Chloe is a doll! She came to pick Shelby up the other day from school.
Wow, you are amazing Jen. I always marvel at the strength of the human heart to endure trial and heartache. And you are not exception. You are an example to me in so many ways- thanks for your strength, and courage, and your positive attitude. I know that the Lord is and will continue to bless you as a mom. What a great gift you are to your girls. Know that you are in our prayers and please if there is anything more that we can do, don't hesitate to ask.
Hope that you are home now and little Miss Hazel is starting to feel better. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Be sure to let me know if there's anything I can do.
Heard about the $1800 RSV shot. Gratitude for insurance (at least I am hoping insurance is covering it!!! Hope she is doing better soon!
Welcome home the oldest and youngest of the Stewart girls and thanks to Lowell (and his other girls) for taking such good care of each other AND making the house so nice when Jen and Hazel got home.
We are blessed!!
Post a Comment