Friday, April 18, 2008

Hazel Update: SB Clinic 4/11

We had a trip to the SB Clinic last friday.  If I haven't told you about the SB Clinic let me tell you now:  It's AWESOME!   You go in and see about 14 people all on the same day. They sit you in a room and the doctors just filter through.  From neurosurgeons to social workers to dietitians and everyone in between.  It's like having your own team of parental helpers all in one room.  I need this for all my kids!  It saves time and money-I'm in love!   Anyway, this last visit we learned a few new things about life with Hazel in the next few months:
1-Hazel needs a head shaping helmet.  She has scoliosis so she favors one side and that causes her head to be flat on the same side. We went into the helmet doctor today for scans and pre-authorization for the insurance. Looks like the insurance will pay for it and we should have it in the next few weeks. Can't wait to add a hot, sweaty, plastic helmet to the already glamourous life I'm leading over here!  Actually, I must admit I'm already trying to conjure up some way to decorate the helmet...any ideas?  I was thinking hair bows or flowers attached to suction cups and stuck on the outside of the helmet!!! Tacky? Maybe, but I think we were already there.

2-  We are starting occupational therapy with a private OT.  The physical therapy results alone don't seem to be pleasing the doctors so now we'll do PT or OT once a week. Luckily the insurance also covers that!

3-  They started her on some new meds for her bladder that are supposed to help with the UTI's and the kidney damage.  That started about a week ago so we'll see if that improves things.

4-  On May 1st she gets her skin tags removed!  I'm a little disappointed in myself--but I'm thrilled!  She has 2 large skin tags by her ear on the right side.  You can barely see one of them in the photo above-anyhow, they are just skin and easy to remove and I want them off.  Anyway, it's a vain thing but I don't care, they're coming off!

So that's our girl!  She is happy and feeling good!  As of today we've been home form the hospital 3 weeks.  This is the danger zone for us--the next week or so!!  Pray and then pray again that we can make it thru!  Thanks!


8 comments:

Sally said...

Gorgeous Hazel!! Wow, that place does sound amazing!

Love your posts, I can hear your voice in them, I love it!

Happy Birthday!

Laura said...

Wow, we will hope & pray that all continues to run smoothly!!! Happy Birthday Jen---I love the slideshow, so many classic, great pictures of you!!!! Hope you have lots of celebrating & fun. Love you, Laura

girlsmama said...

The picture of Hazel is gorgeous! I'm glad to hear she is doing well. We'll keep her in our prayers!

The helmet isn't so bad. Sarah only had to wear hers for 5 weeks. It is hot and stinky though. Yuck. We had different colors of velcro that we coordinated with her outfit. I like the ideas of bows though! We did just put the stretchy headbands around the whole thing a few times.

Is Hazel off the 02? I see the little stickies on her face.

Glad to hear things are good for now!

Bonnie said...

We are praying all the time. Love that little princess so much and just know things will settle down after this first year of getting use to the earth.

Jim said...

Hi Bean!!...Happy Birthday Love. We got cut off on the phone earlier this morning and I was not able to give you a proper Happy Birthday greeting..So, Happy Bithday!
Please know how much we love and respect who you have become. You are a wounder wife, Mom, daughter, sister and friend.
Blessings to you and your beautiful family this coming year when you will be 37!!...did I say THIRTY SEVEN as in 37 years old...three years shout of FORTY!!...yea, next year!! So enjoy 36 for 364 more days.
Love, Dad

Jim said...

We love you Hazel!!! Be healthy!!
Great photo guys!!

V and Co. said...

she's getting so old! and so beautiful every single day!
i was laughing that you were trying to think up ideas on how to decorate her helmet! but then i thought, hmmmm, what about fabric?! or you could do cute little sayings in vinyl...don't know just trying to think of ideas! love you!

Finding Normal said...

That clinic sounds like PURE heaven to me! Man, I'm so jealous, you just can't even know it!