Saturday, June 21, 2008

Old School Travel

This is our 'other' car.  The one Lowell drives back and forth to work and that we haul stuff around in.  This last year Lowell drove our leg of the school carpool in this fabulous car too.  It has a rumble seat in the back so we can get 6 kids in there.  Traveling in this car is such a blast to the past for me, my parents drove this and other Volvo models all of my growing up years. Ours has over 199,000 miles on it, no air, manual windows, seat belts that you have to adjust by hand etc.....

Our Toyota has been in the shop for about a week and we have been driving the wagon around with all the kids and gear in 90+ degree weather.  It's been so nostalgic to see the kids doing all the things I did as a kid growing up:  rolling the window down with their foot, locking the door with the little thing that pops up by hitting it with your elbow, whining about how hot it is and how they are stuck to the 'pleather' seats.  Ahhh...good times!  

I'm reminded that at one time this was a new car and someone must have thought it was a luxurious vehicle.  It reminds me of how spoiled we are!  Pioneer wagon trains?  Hand carts? Forget it, just take a ride in our volvo and get in touch with your roots. 

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Great post, Honey. It is nice to see you have come back up for air. I can really remember the old days with those old Volvos we use to drive. So much shifting and being hot. Now I have to have a/c in a car. It is on my top 10 list to prevent crabbiness. Dad is going to love this post and all the universal kid things about it.

mandy* said...

I have so many memories of the old Volvos! I'm pretty sure I even threw up in one...the teal Volvo maybe? Yikes. Not really a pleasant memory.

Julie said...

Remember making big comfy beds in the cars for long rides. Hmmmmm good times!!!

Lowell said...

Yes, I do love this car. It's certainly luxurious compared to what I grew up with... I mean, hey, it's got electric locks! My folks would've never sprung for those fancy... "options", you call them?

Just a minor correction, though... the car has somewhere well over 200,000 miles, but we actually have no idea (and never will) how many because the odometer was broken before (or broke very shortly after) we inherited the car. Who knows, maybe we're pushing 250K. But we'll never know, because I'd never voluntarily pay to get such a non-essential item fixed! Besides, when it takes forever to pass 3000 miles, you never need to get your oil changed, right?? :-)

laura.elizabeth said...

Ahhh, the memories! Who knew it would be "good" for us in the end? I certainly didn't! My favorite memory is definitely trying to pry my sweaty legs off the fake leather without getting hurt! Got to love it!

Tammie said...

What a fun blog you have and a very cool car!

Jim said...

OK..OK a little reality check.
Of the 4 Volvo station wagons we were privileged to own our favorite was "Robbin" or "Ol'blue".
The best memories were our summer trips to education week ...the heat of August across Nevada at high noon...all the windows down...cool muffler sounds all around...radio cranked up so loud that our ears are still ringing...Bikes strapped to the back...pulling Uncle Bill's trailer fulled with who-knows-what...thinking I was sooo smart with my home made cruse-control...Picnic sandwiches roasting in the back-back...Mom sitting next to me in a death-gaze...our three precious children fighting over every square inch of sticky back seat space they could get...all the warm bottled water one could want...frequent bathroom stops for Dad, restroom or not...and me, happily driving along thinking, "these will be such great family memories".
I love you all andcI thank you all for these memories.

Love, Dad