Tuesday, July 22, 2008

7 Things I Miss the Most

Remember when you were in college and you shared an apartment with 5 other people? Remember how in the fridge there were 6 jugs of milk, all labeled with their owners names: "Heather", "Tara", "Jill" etc? Remember the shower with like, 14 bottles of hair products-also all labeled? And how you only ever bought Suave and so you'd sneak some of your roommates generic Paul Mitchell from Sally's Beauty Supply? Then you'd feel guilty/luxurious all day? Yah-those were the days.

Once, my all time favorite roommate and I got so sick of people and their labeling that we took every single thing that belonged to us in the fridge and wrote "MINE" on it. Each individual egg and stick of butter and whatnot...we thought it was funny but you know how it is, this kind of humor is only funny to the genius that thinks it up.

So I came up with a list of things that I have really missed this last month, I'm not talking about kids and hubby and family togetherness and all that-although I do miss those things-I'm talking about all the things that are "MINE" and a substitute just won't do.

1. My Bed-I've never been one to claim to need their own bed but the vinyl chair I've been sleeping on just isn't cutting it. Don't get me started on how bad I need/want my own pillows.

2. My Bathroom-I just have a rhythm in my own bathroom that cannot be reproduced in another habitat. Things just don't work out the same when I do hair and make up in a foreign bathroom. Plus, the toilet here flushes so forcefully that I swear you could flush a small pet down it with no problem what so ever. My kids are terrified of it and secretly...so am I.

3. My Paper Plates-I won't bore you with some big lie about how I hate eating off of paper plates and I want my real dishes blah, blah, blah....but they have styrofoam plates in the cafeteria (hate them) and the RMDH has dollar store paper plates (aka soggy). So, I really miss my middle-of-the-road-sturdy-yet-somewhat-green paper plates. I'm really missing my flatware too--not a big fan of the plastic fork!

4. My Privacy-I love waking up every morning (on the plastic chair) to a room full of Doctors, Interns, Students, Residents & Specialists all fresh, scrubbed and ready for the day in their white coats. My rooster hair, bad eye makeup (complete with eye boogers) and morning breath really go a long way to helping them all take me seriously during rounds.

5. My Freedom-Remember when you had to tell your mom every place you went and when you'd be back?? I have to do that here with the nursing staff. It's weird but somehow it makes me feel guilty for going down the hall to do some laundry. hmmmm...

6. My Fridge-Cold water, fresh milk, cold fruit & veggies, perishable food. I vaguely remember these things-a simpler time when I just had things on hand in case someone wanted them.

7. My Town-Never in a million, zillion years did I think I would miss Provo but...I do!? I think I just miss the familiarity and knowing where everything is. Being able to drive to the store without a printout from Google Maps seems so fabulous. I guess I can stop telling people I'm from California and claim Provo as my own!


There's no substitute for Home Sweet Home but being here with Hazie and my mom brings a little piece of home to the hospital...it's not "MINE" but it will do.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Jen you are amazing! Yes, it's finally happened...I'm coming out of my lurking closet. I love your spirit and hutzpah (can a Mexican say that? And did I spell it right?!!).

I always look forward to your postings, you are such an honest person, so accurate for those of us who have spent time sitting by a family member's side in the hospital. I know little Hazel through your blog as well as your mom's and I thank you for that. Please know that you, Lowell, Piper, Julia, Cloe and sweet Hazel are always in my prayers.

One more thing....I love the rooster hair comment...I absolutely understand!!

Love and many prayers...

Aunt Emily

Jen Stewart said...

Ditto for the Rondo Mc Dondo Condo. You can, by the way...claim "mine" on me and Hazie. I totally agree with you on the plastic bed. It is very embarrassing when they walk in on you, the real you! Hate it!

Love this post can surely relate.

girlsmama said...

I can't imagine having to deal with what you have the last month! You are an amazing woman and mom. Let me know when the girls can come over again!

Laura said...

LOVE this post! Sometimes it is easy to take our bed, toilet, and home for granted!!! I just LOVED the part of being able to flush a small animal down the toilet. I think your kids should do an experiment with a stuffed animal and see how well it does---although you may not want a flood in your hospital room.

Bonnie said...

So the 2nd post was from me...I forgot to sign Jen out and me in before commenting. Emily, I am so proud of you! See how cool blogging can be?

V and Co. said...

*sigh* jen my problems are so lame...i'm so sorry for everything! i just want to make it go away with a *poof* and voila...perfect little easy peasy life. you are amazing and everyone knew that EVEN before little hazel came into your life. you are a wonderful good woman. i'm so lucky to know you and am constantly thinking of you. you are in my prayers.

CA Poppy said...

You're candid and refreshing-it's great to have a slice of REAL!

Laura said...

I am SOOOOOOOOOO happy for ya'll that you are FINALLY able to return home!!!! Hazel is SOOOO adorable, love the pictures on your Mom's blog---especially the fun chair/bed! Home Sweet Home!

Barbara said...

In case you don't know it, you're awesome!

Sally said...

Thanks for this post, really makes me feel like a dork for complaining about anything EVER. You are awesome Jen!