Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pumpkin Love

I've had a few questions about how I grew pumpkins in Utah.  First off--I finally gave up on trying to grow the giant ones and the unusual varieties, I just went with the Jack-o-Lantern, run of the mill pumpkin seeds.  Start them inside in the middle of April or so and then DO NOT plant them outside until May 1st at the soonest.  Check your local weather any time AFTER 5/1 but anytime before 5/1 is  not going to work.
After you have some good starts outside they need full sun and TONS of water.  I did flood irrigation this year where you give them tons and tons of water about 3 or 4 days a week instead of just a little each day.  You'll know you're giving them too much if the leaves turn yellow, then just back off the watering for a few days and try again when they turn green again.   It seemed pretty easy once I got the right type of seeds.  I'm guessing it's more that than anything else.  Happy planting...next year!

Check out my new pumpkin blog header!  LOVE it!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Love your header-----I just love the colors of Fall---and thanks for the pumpkin growing tips.

Brooke said...

Very cute banner!
We do pumpkins each year too.
The last two years I just went and bought the plants at a reputable nursery. This year we have big maxs. I planted only one because last year 2 was too many. It has overtaken the whole garden and over the fences on both sides with at least 20 pumpkins on it.
It swallowed the cantaloupe and watermelon plants (which my kids are not happy about).
I have to figure out how to happily coexist pumpkins and other plants.

Gail Victoria said...

Love your header! I love pumpkins too! Your pumpking/fall arrangements in your home are always so nice - and cozy. I've not tried pumpkins before but maybe next year I'll give them a try. Glad you're home and getting primed for enjoying the fall!

Rae said...

Your new header is perfect! Love it!!

girlsmama said...

I love the header! You'll have to share your talent and teach me. :)