Sunday, February 24, 2008

2008 Oscars: Best Dress & Best Song

Helen Mirren wins for Best Dress 2 years in a row (in my opinion!)  I loved what she wore last year when she won for The Queen.  I just think she's lovely!

She looks amazing in her dress this year too!  The color is so striking and yet the sleeves are a bit unusual -they add interest.   She's a classy woman.

Also, if you haven't heard the piece that won for Best Original Song, it is great.  It's from an Irish Indie film called Once.  It's rated R for language so you could probably find an edited version if you are concerned about ratings.  You can listen to the song Falling Slowly here. This video clip is just the actors singing the song so it is rated G.   The actors are also the writers and musicians.  It is really very poignant. 

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

The Oscars kind of came and went without me this year. I don't think we saw any of the movies. The melody of the song from Once was pretty on the Utube video but I had trouble understanding the words. That is the way it is with older people. Just like babies can run computers...past a certain age you can't hear lyrics like you use to be able to. Weird but true. The dresses are pretty..loved her in Queen.

Gail Victoria said...

I have the album from the movie Once...there are a lot of good songs on it. I also saw the movie, and while it was good - it was a bit slow because just about every song they sang in the movie was the WHOLE song, which, when most of the songs have the same cadence almost made them sound like the same sound. An interesting movie - a good rental.

I loved Mirren's dress from this year - the sleeves were like jewelry. She is definitely a class act. I hope they get someone besides Jon next year - he seemed a little lame.

Laura said...

You have been tagged. Check my blog for details!

MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! said...

Jen,
I loved that red dress. The sleeves made it, I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. My favorite of the evening. I didn't watch all of the show, it is way boring for me. But I did catch the dresses. I LOVE THIS DRESS. She is such a lady. Thanks for posting!