Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Book Review: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

OK I borrowed this image from Amazon, you can't really "search inside!"  Sorry!

This book was super interesting and infuriating at the same time.  It's about 2 women in ancient China and all that they went thru with foot-binding (click here to see photos), arranged marriages and just being female in a country that refers to them as "worthless".  It's enough to make you spit and yet I had this morbid curiosity about it.   The story is really about the friendship between the 2 women that lasted their entire lives which was quite unusual at that time China.

It just confirmed what I already knew: female friendships are of utmost importance to our sanity!  Marriage is wonderful and unbelievably important but it can't diminish the bond between women!  We all need a little girl power...they may have needed more than they had in ancient China but you have to work with what you've got,  right??

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

What?

MARE + 3= CRAZY!!! said...

Hey Jen,

You are so amazingly funny and witty and really down to earth. I think you have always been that way. I love that. I think that the things you say come from your heart, but what is this last post??? Perhaps not totally from your heart, but from somewhere else... :) I wanted to say Hi and to see how Little Miss Hazel is doing? Your family is beautiful you have done a good job! Keep up the good work! Take care girly! Love Marianne :)

Jen Stewart said...

Sorry guys! I guess Chloe got to the computer before it went to screensaver when I went to feed Hazel. She somehow typed a bunch of stuff and managed to publish a post-the child is scary with being tech savvy!

Sorry, it was just supposed to be my book review.

Jen Stewart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gail Mattson said...

I missed Hazel's typing - and I'm sorry I didn't miss that picture....yuck! Those poor women. I have heard that it is terribly painful. Only a guy could think up something so stupid and painfull. Supposedly they no longer do that in China. Did it say anywhere how many women are still alive that have had their feet binded?

Bonnie said...

I thought maybe that post by Chloe was some complicated math equation and I was feeling pretty dumb that I couldn't figure it out. More on the book and movie later...dinner is served. Love, Mom

Bonnie said...

When I read The Good Earth I had similar feelings. I just hate the way they treated their women. It was absolutely so terrible. How could that type of ignorance be perpetuated? Very disturbing. You should read When Broken Glass Floats absolutely captivating. It is a book about Cambodia. There they were non- discriminating...they treated everyone terribly. Check it out.