Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Summer 'Must Have' List


Spray Sunscreen and Face Stick-Any brand will do but I am here to tell you this stuff is worth the moey.  The spray is prefect for kids and squirmy toddlers and even babies over 6 months old.  The face stick is great because it doesn't run or drip down when you sweat and get in your eyes. It's also great for hard spots like the tops of the ears.

Crocs and Flops-I am not one to wear Crocs myself but they are the ultimate summer shoe for kids.  They are perfect for slipping on and heading out the door.  Even my toddler can put them on herself.  We do a lot of activities near the river so they are perfect for amphibious activities like that too.  And who can make it thru the summer with out a fab pair of flip flops from Old Navy??

OFF!  Smooth and Dry Insect Repellent-This is the best thing ever made.  We live in an area with mosquitos that carry West Nile so I'm kind of a freak about bug spray.  This takes all the pain out of wearing bug spray.  It goes on dry, it doesn't stink and it contains DEET.  Go get some!

A Summer Reading List-This year for us it's Fablehaven.   Piper and Lowell finished the Harry Potter series this past school year much to Piper's sadness, but they are reading Fablehaven 1 now and it seems to be filling the void somewhat.  I read 1 and 2 a few weeks ago and I'm working on 3.  LMK if you are reading anything fabulous.

Discount School Supply-This is a great place to fill up your 'bag of tricks' for when the dog days of summer are just too much to handle.  A few favorites: Nuudles, Glitter Foam Dough, Scratch Letters.

Utah Valley Magazine's 99 Days of Summer List-This is a fabulous list of great things to do in and around Utah Valley.  I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert on things to do around here since I used to be a camp director and I planned all the activities. This list had things I'd never heard of so that is saying something.  They range from free to pricy but all of them sound fun.

Sonic Drive-Thru Happy Hour-3-5 PM every day is 1/2 price drink time at Sonic.  They have pebble ice and diet cherry limeaide.  It can get you thru a rough afternoon.

Yard Sales!-Half of my house is filled with things from yard sales.  I love them and I can't wait to go to some more this coming weekend.  Anyone want to go???   

That is about it for me!  Let Me Know (LMK) if you have anything you can't live without for summer.


11 comments:

Jenny said...

Great list! I love many of the things on there (like Sonic Happy Hour, mmm!), and can't wait to try the ones I haven't heard of yet! Thanks!

Finding Normal said...

Mine are:
blow-up pool in the backyard
spray sunscreen (amen!)
a good book, or lots of them since I'm on summer vacation
storytime at the library
the ice cream truck
a pedicure

girlsmama said...

I love your list! We are two peas in a pod. I'm going to go buy some OFF. I make my kids use bug spray and they call it stink spray! And die cherry limeaide with pebble ice has saved my sanity many a day.

And seriously, I would love to go to garage sales with you and learn from a master. Email or call me! Maybe we can get Kim to go too!

Sally said...

Fun list! Sonic is definitely on mine!! We could do slushes and go to a park! I need some crocs, I LOVE discount school supply, and my favorite spray sunscreen is the one from Costco-nutrigena, it doesn't clog up.

Mrs. O said...

Those scratch letters are pretty cool - thanks for the link. I'm sure I should be more nuts about the bug spray, but part of me wonders what all the DEET might be doing to them 20 years down the road.

Bonnie said...

Love the Crocs even on old ladies..just not the ones that look like clogs. Great post , Baby. We saw Channa at the temple on Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Great list. Our weather is finally warming up a little bit and it quit raining. Woo hoo!! I love flip flops.

Courtney said...

flip-flops are a most. I can't go through summer without them. Wish I could wear them year around.

kjtroxel said...

HI
I linked to your blog from the nesters. So I thought I'd add to your list :)
side walk chalk/paint. My boys love making a mess of the front porch and then love to get the hose out to spray it all off!
We're new to Utah so I was really excited about the 99 things to do... We'll get busy! And flip flops..is there another summer shoe?
:)Kj

Jennifer said...

I've never tried spray-on sunscreen, I've always been too worried about whether or not it would actually cover. I think I might try it out this year.

Rae said...

I always like to stock up on great craft supplies for the summer. I think I will give your suggestions a try. Thanks!